Starting October 1, 2015 for in-city limit residents, Texas Disposal Systems will begin picking up yard trimmings once a month, all year round, from the curbside. This is a great improvement to our current system which had seasonal service gaps, making yard trimmings disposal difficult for residents.
Yard Trimmings will be picked up along with the 1st recycle pickup in the month.
- Material must be in bundles, personal container, or compostable Kraft paper bags, available at local hardware and grocery stores.
- Each bundle should be no more than four feet in length and no more than 35 pounds and secured with twine/string.
- Residents may also use a personal container/can marked specifically with the words ‘Yard Trimmings’ and the address on the container.
- Maximum of 20 items per set out; the set out can be any combination of Kraft paper bags, personal containers, or bundles but the max number of items is 20.
- Crews will not collect paper compostable bags with weekly garbage pickup; it is serviced by a separate truck.
- If more than 20 kraft paper bags need to be collected, each additional bag must have a Bag Tag. Bag Tags may be purchased for $5 each at the Utility Billing office, 300-1 Industrial Blvd., 512-930-3640.
If you would like to see the schedule for yard trimming collections, please click here -> Collection Schedules
Any concerns about a missed yard trimming pick-up please call TDS at 512-930-1715.
All curbside-collected yard trimmings are brought to the City’s Collection Station where it is ground into mulch which is free to all Georgetown Utility customers living inside the city limits. Limit one free cubic yard of mulch per account, per month.
Currently while supply lasts, we are offering this great mulch to outside city limit customers who have Texas Disposal Systems garbage service. Customers must have TDS garbage service in order to receive one yard of mulch free.
Mulch is very beneficial for a number of reasons:
- Conserves moisture, reducing the need for frequent watering
- Prevents/reduces soil erosion
- Maintains a more even soil temperature
- Prevents weed growth
- Creates ideal environment for earthworms and other beneficial soil organisms
- Organic matters help keep soil loose
- Increases root growth
- Naturally beautifies your yard
But, if you aren’t interested in diverting your yard trimmings, you can put them in your cart with your garbage for weekly pickup. Remember, there are no extra bags allowed next to your trash cart without a Bag Tag.
For additional information on the City’s free mulch availability, please call Texas Disposal Systems, (512)930-1715.
Larger trash items that will not fit into your cart cannot be left at the curbside as part of your regular trash collection.
Bulky waste items include: furniture, mattresses, toilets, refrigerators, and washers/dryers.
In-city residents are allotted two (2) free bulky waste curbside pick-ups per year.
Call Texas Disposal Systems (TDS) at (512) 930-1715 to schedule a curbside bulky waste pickup.
Any concerns about a missed bulky waste pick-ups please call TDS at 512-930-1715.
For a fee, customers may bring bulky wastes to the Collection Station at 250 W.L. Walden Drive; fees will be assessed at the gatehouse.
- Bulky waste pickups are scheduled on Saturdays from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Do not place items curbside more than 24 hours before your scheduled collection.
- Processing charges for refrigerated appliances apply. Refer to the rate sheet for pricing information by clicking here.
- Additional pickups or residents who live outside City limits will pay $25/cubic yard.
- The volume allowed per pickup is up to three cubic yards. Volumes exceeding 3 cyd are $25/cyd.
- To determine how many cubic yards you may have for pick-up, multiply length x width x height (in feet) and divide by 27. For example, 4’ x 3’ x 5’ = 60 cubic feet/27 = 2.22 cubic yards. Also, a 96 gallon cart is appoximately one-half cubic yard.
- Unacceptable bulky waste items include, but are not limited to: tires, vehicle batteries, televisions, hazardous materials, and construction waste such as bathtubs, cabinetry or sheet rock.
- Construction materials that are in good condition may be donated to the Habitat Re-store.
Gently used items such as clothing, housewares, and furniture can be reused by charitable organizations such as the Caring Place at (512) 869-4735 or Goodwill Industries at (512) 868-9547. Computer components and televisions can be taken to any Goodwill where they are ‘demanufactured’, resold or recycled.
City of Georgetown residential customers have curbside single stream recycling offered as part of their solid waste services.
Single stream recycling means there is no need to separate your recyclables; this practice will significantly increase the volume of material diverted from the landfill.
We’re proud to offer at-home film plastic recycling via the “Bag-the-Bag” program exclusively through Texas Disposal Systems. You can get these bags at either the Georgetown Municipal Complex at 300-1 Industrial Ave., or at the Transfer Station at 250 W.L. Walden Rd.
Your recycling container will be picked up bi-weekly.
- Additional recycle carts are available upon request for $8.00/month by calling the City of Georgetown Customer Care at 512-930-3640
- To request a change in cart size or to report a broken cart, please call Georgetown Customer Care at 512-930-3640
- Any concerns about a missed recycling pick-up please call TDS at 512-930-1715.
**Please have your cart at the curb by 7:00 AM on your collection day.**
Check out the Single Stream Recycling “Yes/No” list here: TDS Yes/No Single Stream Recycling List
Accepted items for single stream recycling:
- Glass bottles (all colors accepted)
- Aluminum cans
- Steel cans
- Paper egg cartons
- Cardboard cylinders from paper towels, toilet paper
- Prescription medicine containers and caps
- Plastics #1-#7 (flatten beverage containers, caps can be left on the container)
- Hard plastics (from product packaging with any paper or twist ties removed)
- Newspapers and inserts
- Books with covers removed
- White paper
- Junk mail
- Pasteboard (cereal, tissue boxes)
- Telephone books
- Aluminum foil, pie plates (clean and balled)
- Corrugated cardboard
- Asceptic and gable top cartons (such as milk or juice cartons)
- Plastic bags and plastic film, cellophane (ONLY within the yellow ‘Bag the Bag’ stuffer bag)
The following may be recycled and must be in the TDS “Bag the Bag”, not loose in your cart:
- All types of clear or opaque common film plastics
- single-use and reusable plastic bags with handles
- dry cleaning bags
- newspaper bags
- meat and produce bags (free of food residue)
- bread bags
- to-go food bags
- Ziploc-type bags
- plastic wrap and cellophane products
- six-pack rings
- all types of plastic wrap encasing products such as paper towel rolls, toilet papers, napkins, paper plates, etc.
**Please tie the Stuffer bag tightly before adding to your recycle cart.**
PLEASE DO NOT put the following items in your recycle cart:
- Yard waste (grass clippings, leaves)
- Hazardous waste (chemicals, paints)
- Loose plastic bags
- Styrofoam (any kind)
- Pet food bags
- Pet waste
- Light bulbs
- Batteries (any kind)
- Motor oil containers
- Aerosol cans
- Metal coat hangers
- Garden hoses
- Snack bags (like potato chips)
- Single-use coffee cups
- Wine corks
The City of Georgetown provides garbage and single stream recycling collection services through a contract with Texas Disposal Systems (TDS).
All City utility customers who live inside the city limits are required to have garbage through TDS.
City residents have once a week curbside garbage and bi-weekly recycling service.
Our residents have a choice of a 35-gallon rolling cart (36″H x 24″W x 20″D), 65-gallon rolling cart (42″H x 26″W x 28″D), or 95-gallon rolling cart (46″ H x 28″W x 34″D) provided by TDS.
City utility customers who live outside the city limits have the option of having a once weekly trash pick-up through the City’s contractor or choosing another service provider.
For more information, to request new service, a change in service, or to register a complaint, contact Customer Care at (512) 930-3640 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any concerns about a missed trash or recycling pick-up please call TDS at 512-930-1715.
To replace or exchange a trash or recycling cart, please call TDS at 512-930-1715
Residential Solid Waste Collection
- The cart must be placed at the curb for collection by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day.
- Residents must fit all garbage inside their the cart. Bags or bundles of garbage outside the cart must have a Bag Tag in order to be collected. Bag Tags are available for $5 each from the Utility Billing office located at 300-1 Industrial Blvd, 512-930-3640.
- Acceptable waste includes household garbage and brush. No hazardous materials are allowed inside your cart; for information about our hazardous waste voucher program, click here.
- Bag Tags are not necessary for Kraft paper bagged yard trimmings collected during the curbside yard waste program dates.
- To report a broken or defective cart, please call TDS at 512-930-1715 to request a replacement cart to be delivered; this process usually takes 2-3 business days.
- Residents may place yard trimmings inside their garbage cart but if collected along with your regular trash pick-up, they are not recycled, and are taken to the landfill. In order to ensure your yard waste is recycled and not thrown away as trash, visit our Yard Trimming section.
- Brush may be brought to the Collection Station for recycling. The cost is $6.25/cubic yard.
Residential Solid Waste Rates:
- All others, call Texas Disposal Systems at 1-800-375-8375