CURBSIDE RECYCLING SERVICES – RESIDENTIAL
SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING IS HERE!
City of Georgetown residential customers now have curbside single stream recycling offered as part of their solid waste services. Single stream recycling means you no longer need to separate your recycables. All program-accepted materials go into the one cart (see below for the list of program-acceptable items).
New expanded recycling services officially began on November 1st, 2012, following earlier City Council approval of a new contract with Texas Disposal Systems (TDS); that contract became effective Monday, October 1st, 2012. Single stream should significantly increase the volume of material diverted from the landfill.
In mid-October, residential customers began receiving new 95-gallon carts for single-stream recycling. Information cards were attached to each carts showing specific collection schedules for customers and details for program-acceptable materials. All residential customers should receive their single stream cart by November 9th. If you have not received your new cart by November 9th, please call TDS Customer Care at 1-800-375-8375.
For City of Georgetown residents, the new monthly solid waste fee is $16, which includes solid waste, single-stream recycling, yard trimmings collections, and bulky waste curbside collection. For customers outside city limits with other City of Georgetown utility services, the monthly solid waste fee is $22. For all others, please contact TDS at 1-800-375-8375.
Single-Stream Recycling Officially Begins November 1st
- One 95-gallon container will be picked up every-other-week and replaces the 18-gallon bins. See the information card that came with your new recycle cart.
- Acceptable items have been expanded to include plastics numbers 1 – 7, corrugated cardboard, paperboard (e.g., cereal boxes), and plastic bags. Other acceptable recyclables include newspapers, magazines, office paper, glass bottles, and aluminum or steel (tin) cans (see below for the list of program-acceptable items).
- Additional recycle carts are available on request for $8.00/month.
Please have your cart at the curb by 7:00 AM on your collection day.
At curbside, we will recycle:
- Glass bottles (all colors accepted)
- Aluminum cans
- Steel cans
- Paper egg cartons
- Cardboard cylinders from paper towels, toilet paper
- Prescription medicine containers and caps
- Plastics #1 – #7 (remove caps and flatten beverage containers)
- Hard plastics (from product packaging with any paper or twist ties removed)
- Newspapers and inserts
- Books with covers removed
- White paper
- Junk mail
- Pasteboard (cereal, tissue boxes)
- Telephone books
- Aluminum foil, pie plates (clean and balled)
- Corrugated cardboard
- Asceptic and gable top cartons (such as milk or juice cartons)
- Plastic bags (ONLY when bagged in the yellow perforated Stuffer bag)
- All of the following may be recycled (MUST be in the Stuffer bag and not loose) in your cart: All types of common plastic, single-use and reusable plastic bags with handles; dry cleaning bags; newspaper bags; meat and produce bags (free of food residue); bread bags; to-go food bags; Ziploc-type bags; plastic wrap and cellophane products; six-pack rings; all types of plastic wrap encasing products such as paper towel rolls, toilet papers, napkins, paper plates, etc.
- Tie the Stuffer bag tightly before adding to your recycle cart.
DO NOT put the following items in your recycle cart:
- Yard waste (grass clippings, leaves)
- Hazardous waste (chemicals, paints)
- Loose plastic bags
- Styrofoam (any kind)
- Pet food bags
- Pet waste
- Light bulbs
- Batteries (any kind)
- Motor oil containers
- Aerosol cans
- Coat hangers
- Garden hoses
- Snack bags (like potato chips)
- Single-use coffee cups
- Wine corks