Starting October 1, 2015 for in-city limit residents, Texas Disposal Systems will begin picking up yard trimmings once a month, all year round, from the curbside. This is a great improvement to our current system which had seasonal service gaps, making yard trimmings disposal difficult for residents.
Yard Trimmings will be picked up along with the 1st recycle pickup in the month.
- Material must be in bundles, personal container, or compostable Kraft paper bags, available at local hardware and grocery stores.
- Each bundle should be no more than four feet in length and no more than 35 pounds and secured with twine/string.
- Residents may also use a personal container/can marked specifically with the words ‘Yard Trimmings’ and the address on the container.
- Maximum of 20 items per set out; the set out can be any combination of Kraft paper bags, personal containers, or bundles but the max number of items is 20.
- Crews will not collect paper compostable bags with weekly garbage pickup; it is serviced by a separate truck.
- If more than 20 kraft paper bags need to be collected, each additional bag must have a Bag Tag. Bag Tags may be purchased for $5 each at the Utility Billing office, 300-1 Industrial Blvd., 512-930-3640.
If you would like to see the schedule for yard trimming collections, please click here -> Collection Schedules
Any concerns about a missed yard trimming pick-up please call TDS at 512-930-1715.
All curbside-collected yard trimmings are brought to the City’s Collection Station where it is ground into mulch which is free to all Georgetown Utility customers living inside the city limits. Limit one free cubic yard of mulch per account, per month.
Currently while supply lasts, we are offering this great mulch to outside city limit customers who have Texas Disposal Systems garbage service. Customers must have TDS garbage service in order to receive one yard of mulch free.
Mulch is very beneficial for a number of reasons:
- Conserves moisture, reducing the need for frequent watering
- Prevents/reduces soil erosion
- Maintains a more even soil temperature
- Prevents weed growth
- Creates ideal environment for earthworms and other beneficial soil organisms
- Organic matters help keep soil loose
- Increases root growth
- Naturally beautifies your yard
But, if you aren’t interested in diverting your yard trimmings, you can put them in your cart with your garbage for weekly pickup. Remember, there are no extra bags allowed next to your trash cart without a Bag Tag.
For additional information on the City’s free mulch availability, please call Texas Disposal Systems, (512)930-1715.